Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beginning Birding 101

So I found myself in need of a new hobby.... since I really didn't have many I truly liked. So I took up watching the birds.... I love the outdoors... and I like to have lists of things I have accomplished... A life list of birds I have seen and positively identified... fits well.

So this morning after a few months of starting to notice birds and look over field guides... I went out on my morning expedition/ adventure...
My little point and shoot camera is not gonna work to take identifiable pictures...So you will just have to trust me until I can get a better camera.

So I went to an area of Forest park which has been returned to native vegetation with a prairie and a lake and stream... So this morning besides the everyday birds like robins and doves... I saw (pictures from the internet)

Starling:

First brought to North America by Shakespeare enthusiasts in the nineteenth century, European Starlings are now among the continent’s most numerous songbirds. They are stocky black birds with short tails, triangular wings, and long, pointed bills. Though they’re sometimes resented for their abundance and aggressiveness, they’re still dazzling birds when you get a good look. Covered in white spots during winter, they turn dark and glossy in summer
American Gold Finch:

This handsome little finch, the state bird of New Jersey, Iowa, and Washington, is welcome and common at feeders, where it takes primarily sunflower and nyjer. Goldfinches often flock with Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls. Spring males are brilliant yellow and shiny black with a bit of white. Females and all winter birds are more dull but identifiable by their conical bill; pointed, notched tail; wingbars; and lack of streaking. During molts they look bizarrely patchy. These are active and acrobatic little finches that cling to weeds and seed socks, and sometimes mill about in large numbers at feeders or on the ground beneath them. Goldfinches fly with a bouncy, undulating pattern and often call in flight, drawing attention to themselves. Their song sounds like Po-ta-to-chip.
Barn Swallow:

A familiar inhabitant of barns and other outbuildings, the Barn Swallow is easily recognized by its long forked tail. It was originally a cave breeder, but now the swallow nests almost exclusively on man-made structures. Migrates fully to Central and South America.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! Keep it up, I may start writing mine down, too.

ajpabst said...

Your grandparents would be so proud. I even new a couple of those birds!